South African Government Information 15 November 2012.
We would like to invite you to the Renewable Energy Conference and Exhibition to be jointly hosted by the Province of the Eastern Cape of the Republic of South Africa and the European Union from the 28th to the 30th of November 2012 at the International Convention Centre (ICC) in East London, South Africa. Below is a brief background of the conference objectives and approach.
Attached here is a prospectus and detailed programme.
- MEC Mr Mcebisi Jonas
- Premier Ms Noxolo Kiviet
- EU Ambassador, Roeland van de Geer
- Minister of Public Enterprises, Malusi Gigaba
- Minister of Energy, Ms Dipuo Peters
Industry experts participating:
- Mr Josche Muth – European Renewable Energy Council
- Dr Carsten Agert – Next Energy (European Union)
- Director-General Omphi Aphane – Department of Energy
- HOD Bulumko Nelana – Department of Economic Development Environmental Affairs and Tourism
- Mr Davin Chown – South African Photovoltaic Industry Association, Chair
- Ms Jasandra Nyker – South African Wind Energy Association, Chair
- 28 November – Investors dinner
- 28 and 29 November – Conference and exhibition
- 30 November – Field trips
General conference background
The objectives of the conference and exhibition are to:
- Raise awareness of renewable energy opportunities in the Eastern Cape and establish partnerships in renewable energy between the European Union and the Eastern Cape
- Showcase and deepen existing projects and partnerships, and development cooperation
- Identify opportunities and obstacles for renewable energy in the Eastern Cape informed by European Union experience
- Establish ongoing processes for supporting projects and partnerships.
The conference will focus on renewable energy partnerships, investment, technical capacity and project development for the province. It is also a key component of a visit by a trade delegation from the European Union to the Eastern Cape, which will be formally welcomed on the 27th November by the Honourable Premier of the Eastern Cape, Ms Noxolo Kiviet.
The conference, which is hosted by the Department of Economic Development, Environmental Affairs and Tourism under MEC Mcebisi Jonas, will consist of two days of seminars, discussions and facilitated matchmaking involving current and potential stakeholders in renewable energy in the Eastern Cape. It will be addressed by the Premier of the Eastern Cape, head of the European Delegation to South Africa, Roeland van de Geer, and the Minister of Energy, Ms Dipuo Peters.
Conference visitors will be able to meet and network with the European Union delegates to explore and share common opportunities relating to renewable energy. The conference will provide delegates with insight into the current and developing regulatory and institutional arrangements pertaining to renewable energy projects and programmes in the province, the investment environment, and available and potential capacity within the province to support renewable energy.
The exhibition will profile and showcase government departments, organisations and companies within the renewable energy sector. Furthermore field trips will be organised for conference delegates on the 30th November to showcase renewable energy projects and to explore the beauty of the Eastern Cape. 876 Megawatts of the National Renewable Energy Procurement Programme have been awarded to Preferred Bidders in the EC so far.
Ten (10) wind farms and 1 solar photovoltaic farm constitute this Eastern Cape allocation. The province has secured a significant proportion of the national allocations due to suitable factors including excellent wind and solar resources by international standards, grid access, access to land, and the comparative absence of competing activities or land-uses.
In addition to solar and wind power, the province has significant potential for biomass and biogas energy and biofuels. This sets a broad foundation for the region, which, within this decade, could potentially rely on renewable energy as a significant source of power.
You may visit the website at: www.greenenergy-ec.co.za.
For enquiries and media interview please contact:
Nkosohlanga Mboniswa, Chief of Staff
Cell: 082 200 4756
Sixolile Makaula, Communications Manager
Cell: 072 751 5001
Tel: 043 605 7117
Issued by: Eastern Cape Economic Development and Environmental Affairs
16 Nov 2012